Playing Nice With Others

Go down

Playing Nice With Others

Post  coach41 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am

so what's this i hear about us organizing, anyway? one of the guys in my group insists that this is the Apocalypse and that we'd better prepare for all-out war with the beasts, while one woman holds that we should spare the monsters that aren't all bad in order to gain allies against those that can't be saved.
another one has some crackpot idea about the monsters being "negative vibrations" in the human spirit, and keeps trying to convince the others to do guided meditation to increase the area's "positivewavelengths" or something like that. i think they're all missing the point, but i don't know what to else i can do - has anyone else out there had better luck?

coach41
New user
New user

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Playing Nice With Others

Post  soyboy134 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:36 am

I'm afraid there are no easy answers for you on that one, mate. I thought that my group had some rough edges when we started out, but next to yours it sounds like we're an all-star footie team. Hard luck, mate, hard luck. But all's not lost yet, at least not if you're willing to put up with some guff from them and sit down for a hard talk. Go into it the right way and I think you'll find that you can take some of those differences and wrestle strengths out of them instead. It's just a matter of arranging where everybody's strongest so that they complement each other instead of running at cross-purposes all the time.
For example, take that chap who's always going on about how much he wants to arm the world, blow up monsters with grenades and otherwise get all Rambo on you. Sure, he's bound to turn out a nutter if you just let him stew in the back, but if you give him a job he can put his hands on like protecting your mutual meeting place or taking point when you head out into the field, you’ve suddenly got a very active and useful team member instead of somebody you’re not sure you want behind you in a dark alley.
Don’t kid yourself - we’re in a dangerous business no matter how you want to look at it, so it’s just good sense to make sure you’ve got at least a couple of people who’re good in a tight spot. Maybe you can even pick up some basic weapons and self-defense training off ‘em, if they’re the teaching type - once again, it may not be your thing, but it’s not a bad thing to know even if you never plan on using it. I know I didn’t, but I’ve found out differently since then.
Don’t get me wrong, either, there’s lots of room on this mission for others who aren’t so keen on weaponry. That woman you said wants to talk to the monsters, maybe see if some of them are alright? So long as she doesn’t have rocks in her head or an overly trusting streak, you’ve now got yourself a natural negotiator if you see a creature that doesn’t look like it deserves immediate destruction. If that puts a bee in Mr. Rifle’s bonnet, then tell him he can act as a bodyguard, backup sniper or what have you. They might even enjoy working together on plans for taking out those creatures she doesn’t think are worth saving, while he might come around to how she picks truly deserving targets for him instead of just whatever happens along.
As for your “positive wavelength channeler, well.. . Damned if I know if there’s anything to the theory, but it sounds just about strange enough to be right to me. Even if you think he’s just a crazy git, though, he can still be a right helpful one if you turn him loose on the local library or web browser looking for more information about the creatures and anything else that might tie into his particular theory - just be careful he doesn’t start leaving out anything that seems to contradict what he expects, and he’s bound to turn up all sorts of information for you to use.
Of course, I’m not saying you have to elect yourself king to get all of this done, and trust me the quickest way to be rid of your mates is to start tossing orders their way without asking nicely first. As much as you might want to do that sometimes, don’t - if nobody else comes along, you’re stuck in a jam the first time the monsters show up in numbers that are more than you can handle (and chances are that’s not many). Just sit everyone down and explain it to them as sensibly as possible, and if they’re good folks they’ll see what you’re getting at and pull together. Don’t worry about it - you’d be surprised how many of us still are, even given what we’ve been through. Deep down they know the score, and that usually wins out over even the most pigheaded ones out there.

soyboy134
New user
New user

Number of posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Simple rule of thumb:

If you don't agree with the philosphy, then check the ammo locker. If there's no ammo locker, then get the fuck out while the getting's good.

Talkers have their place, but so do killers. Get too many of one and not enough of the other, and all you get is Fertilizer.

Isn't that right, Potter?

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 95

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm55 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:53 pm

To: hunter.list@hunter-net.org
Subject: The "Creeds"?

In the military, you tend to find that a platoon is comprised of individuals with a great deal of uniqueness and personal flair who are able to work as a cohesive unit only because they possess a strong drive to survive. This is usually enhanced by an alpha personality with good leadership qualities who acts as a commander. I'm sure Soldier91 will concurr with this observation, but I should note that it's only an observation. I don't have much personal experience with other Imbued, as I tend to end up attracting the ones who only want to kill, and never to actually communicate. I believe that this can apply to us as well, under the right circumstances and with the right mindset.

I have noted that we seem to follow a loose series of personality archtypes with a number of similiaries that present some noteworthy social groupings. I'd like to advance a kind of labeling system that we might be able to use to identify those archtypes. If this works, it may engender some kind of understanding between various hunters, and possibly bring about a more structured means to progress in our Mission. Now, I apologize for some of the fanciful names; I'm more inclined to reading than towards writing.

Avenger- I use this term to represent hunters whom exhibit tendencies towards extermination of all monsters with extreme prejudice. I've seen the derogatories "frother", "psycho" and "killer" thrown around alot, and leaves me a little cold, as some of these people are actually very nice and very well-adjusted. They simply have a complete intolerance towards the acts many monsters perpetrate on society.

Defender-There seems to be a high percentage of hunters who are apparently more interested in protecting people or places than in outright killing anything they can find. Although most hunters value life and protecting their friends,family and belongings, people that I consider part of this archtype seem drawn to the act of protection over any other element of the Mission.

Innocent- I'd be the first to admit that I'm really quite niave about monsters. It seems I'm not the only one with a belief system that centers around simply attempting to understand monsters and learn about them. Although it can sometimes be painful to read, I can understand why others call us things like "bait", "pylons", or "talkers". We're simply not as jaded, cynical or vitriolic as many of our peers.

Judges-A few of the Imbued I have crossed paths with are very certain of the path we as a whole should be taking, but they seem much more attracted to leadership roles and hands-on experience in the Mission. I refer to them as "Judges" because oftentimes they will quickly consider the threat level of a monster or the actions it may have taken against mankind then levy some form of verdict on what we should do about the monster after weighing the facts they receive from other hunters or personal observations. These men and women would, in my opinion, be the ones who are most likely to form groups or cells of Imbued with which practice the behaviors I mention above.

Martyr- Some Imbued strictly adhere to a policy of only allowing themselves to be placed in danger when on the Hunt. These zealous Imbued tend towards risking or sacrificing their own body, mind and even soul before even considering allowing another to be placed in harm's way when it comes to protecting the the Defenseless or engaging a monster in discourse. Some of the more common derogatory names I've seen for these heroic souls are "punching bag" or "sadsack", with "hardcase" being a popular one for those few like Dictatrix11 who have lasted more than a few months in the Mission.

Redeemer-I feel for the people I would place in this category. They take upon themselves the toughest job any Imbued could accept; that of having to confront monsters and onvince them to seek their lost humanity. I also place individuals who see monsters as sick, and in need of healing or help. Basically, I use the term Redeemer to represent any Imbued who wants to care about or for a monster, rather than killing or staving them off. What makes their job truly hard is that they do not just have to convince monsters of their legitimacy, but they also have to convince the other Imbued they may need to work with of it as well. Typically, they are referred to as "talkers" on the list, or as "bleeding hearts".

Visionary- I don't really know how to define some Imbued among us, except to say that they seem to be capable of looking at a wider scope of information and formulating theory and plans from it. This guidance typically finds its way onto Hunter-net then into the hands of more proactive Imbued who use the strategies these "Thinkers" come up with to solid effect in many cases. Fyodor would be the best example I can think of of one of these "Visionaries", with our very own Witness1 lumped into the category only because of the invaluable service he provides the rest of us here and for his insights into our purpose and needs.

There are stories from the first List of other Imbued who don't fit any of these categories of social archtype. Some of the early Imbued were very strident and very adaptable in a way most of us don't seem to be capable of any longer. I'm not even going to begin to speculate on how to classify these early pioneers of our Cause, but suffice to say that most of them are not people to be trifled with.
bookworm55
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  god45 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:23 pm

to: hunter.list@hunter-net.org
subject: re: The "Creeds?"

Creating labels to cement the roles of various Chosen is laudable.

It is also extremely foolish. Every piece of information that we tabulate in order to categorize ourselves is a piece of information our enemy can use against us. In listing these "archtypes", you have afforded an enemy the means by which to not only track us, but to know our potential character weaknesses in advance.

Which is more effective:

- A small, mobile force where every man is trained to perform every job and the numbers fluctuate constantly,

or

- A large, regimented unit where each member provides one role and only one role while numbers are strictly regulated?

Now, which one of these units do we more closely resemble?
god45
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm

So... am I supposed to play a guessing game now about where I fit your list then post it to Singles.org? I can see it now:

Hi, I'm Rigger!

My measurements are:

I'm a big scary Redeemer !

I like long walks on the beach, hot showers and hummers before breakfast, both giving and receiving.

My turn-ons are puppies, kitties and a kind, gentle bloodsuckers who's in touch with his feminine side.

My turn-offs are mean people, angry people and people who aren't nice.

Can I join your clusterfuck of wannabe pylons who are pretending that they have some clue about the Mission??? *teehee*

Picture enclosed!

You never cease to give me a reason to put a gun to my own head, Bookworm. Grow the fuck up, would you?

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm55 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:20 am

Subject: re: The "Creeds"?

I'm sorry you both feel that my attempt was ill-advised. However, I did not post my idea strictly for you to peruse and shoot down for "tactical inefficiency". I posted it so that any of the Imbued who use this site might get some semblance of identity from it, and perhaps draw a level of comfort from knowing that they are not completely alone in their chosen method of pursuing the Hunt. This site, and all postings to it, serve the community. It's not just an encrypted LiveJournal for frothers who are waiting for their next target.

You, of all people, God, should understand the value of morale and psychological warfare. If we're demoralized because we don't have a sense of identity, then what good are we as combatants? How effective can we be if we don't at least have a general sense of what we're supposed to be doing out there?

You might opine (incessantly) that killing is the only way to deal with these beings, but I assure you that you're not the only opinion, even if you're the popular one. Others might see this as a way to get their bearings for when they don't have the stomach to kill something and it will help them get their head back in the proverbial "game".

I did consider that this information could be used against us. I also weighed very carefully the possible other consequences. I determined that it can do more good than harm. I'm sorry if you can't see the inherent potential for good.
bookworm55
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:36 am

I don't give a flaming fuck about "tactical inefficiency" or any other bullshit term you and that freak of nature God might come up with Bookworm. All I care about is that your stupid fucking idea is cliquish High School bullshit. It sounds like "the Nerds", "the Jocks" and "the Popular Kids" kind of fuckery that's common to people who spend more time worrying about what others think of them than about actually DOING what they're SUPPOSED to be doing.

Instead of sitting in your fucking Mommy's basement thinking up new job descriptions, get the fuck out there and give us more actual information about fucking blookfucks or rots. Seriously kid, grow the fuck up. This isn't a fucking game of Dungeons and Dragons or whatever the fuck you nerds play. This is fucking REAL LIFE WAR.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  god45 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:32 pm

You are putting words in my mouth, Bookworm. I find nothing inefficient about your post. I stated only that it is a bad idea to post it openly. Your most glaring tactical error here is that you allowed your pride to be wounded. If you can't take criticism from one of your fellow Chosen, what mistakes will you make the next time one of your precious "Afflicted" tries to fuck with your head? They are all liars, as you clearly already know. Are you going to let your guard down around one of them and let it get under your skin if it offends your sense of pride as well?
god45
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm55 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:18 am

Subject: re: The "Creeds"?

> Instead of sitting in your fucking Mommy's basement thinking up new job descriptions

Leave my Momma out of this Rigger. I'm a good little boy from the 'hood, no matter what I may sound like when I try to get through to assholes like you on the list. You do not want to be talking about my Momma. Not if you don't want me to find your ass. And you know I can do it.

> get the fuck out there and give us more actual information about fucking blookfucks or rots.

What do you think I do all day? I'm out there every day looking for them, just like you. It's not like I can wave my magic wand and get one of them to spill his guts to me! It takes time and patience just to get one useful piece of information or for them to open up even just a little to tell me about their freakin' day!

> You are putting words in my mouth, Bookworm.

I'm sorry. As you well know, I don't like your methods. But you do show consideration, and put things into perspective sometimes. Please accept my heart-felt apology for misrepresenting you.

> Are you going to let your guard down around one of them and let it get under your skin if it offends your
> sense of pride as well?

No, I'm not. You pointed out a character flaw many of us possess. I'll take it in stride and attempt to correct it when I see it. Thank you for some sound advice, God.
bookworm55
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 am

> And you know I can do it.

Bring it, you little candy ass. I'll fuck your world up, Gangsta.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  god45 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 am

I desire neither your apology nor your accolade, Bookworm. Take the statements at face value and apply them. The only legitimate feedback you can give is to ask for clarification should you not understand them.

To Rigger111:

Stow the attitude. You have become not just unproductive, but tedious. Take the "internet toughguy" act elsewhere. It is a waste of bandwidth that we can ill afford here.
god45
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier91 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 am

subject: Creeds

I can't believe that I am agreeing with God45, but cut the shit Rigger. Starting fights on the forum leaves us vulnerable. If we scare the new recruits and they don't feel comfortable asking us questions they will be unprepared for what they will face.
soldier91
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  witness1 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 am

Bookworm, Rigger,

I created this site and these boards for the express purpose of allowing the imbued to share information and offer each other support. Disagreements and debate are to be expected in a vibrant online community such as this, but threatening dialogue, the likes of which both of you are indulging in here, is getting beyond the bounds of acceptable behaviour.

We all occasionally get heated about certain subjects but responding by threatening to track down and hurt another site member is inexcusable.

Inherit the Earth.

Witness1

witness1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Number of posts : 10

View user profile http://www.hunter-net.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm55 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:49 am

Subject: re: Threats and Insults

My apologies, Witness. I'm not sure what came over me, but my conduct was inexcusable. I'll be sure to act with restraint and consideration in the future. I would like to hope that my contributions to the list and community as a whole should outweigh my personal dislike for the actions of one man. Again, I'm sorry for causing trouble.
bookworm55
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cabbie22 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:16 pm

I wouldn't sweat it Bookworm. Rigger's an ass - he has that affect on most people.
cabbie22
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 62

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:33 am

Yeah, Rigger's the asshole.

Just keep in mind that Bookworm is the one who broke the rule.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cabbie22 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 am

"Boo hoo. It wasn't me sir it was Bookworm". Stop sounding like a fucking fifteen year old tell-tale, Rigger. It's not the first time you've stepped out of line, is it?
cabbie22
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 62

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  god45 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 am

I believe Witness1's post was intended to end this deviation from the true purpose of this thread. Now if you morons are done playing the schoolyard recess gang, can we get back to hunting monsters and stop filling my In Box with useless tripe?
god45
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  witness1 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:02 pm

Actually, this post has got me thinking and I hope no one will take imbrage if I jump in with something of an observation. Part of why I maintain hunter-net is that it allows me to learn a lot about us. Not our real lives - unless you're being careless in your posts - but on how we relate.
Looking back through Bookworm's postings and some older posts from the archives about imbued that have worked together I can't help but notice that something special seems to happen when a protective hunter and a real optimist get together. It's sort of like a natural bond or something. The protector compensates for the optimist's foolhardiness and seems to get a good dose of hope in return. From what I can tell, hunters who end up in this sort of relationship are less likely to end up as defeneseless bait or hardcore dead-eyes.
I wonder if there are other personality types that match up like that? Food for thought.

Inherit the Earth

witness1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Number of posts : 10

View user profile http://www.hunter-net.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  god45 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am

As long as a group of Chosen set aside their personal philosphies and hang-ups, any combination of Mission-oriented doctrines or specialties can cooperate fully well together. The trick is to remember to set one's ego aside in the interest of accomplishing the Mission-- that of ending a monstrous threat to the Blind.
god45
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: