A brief musical interlude....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A brief musical interlude....

Post  Krebsy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 am

Ok, early to start this before we've all settled in and suchlike but here's a quick question (in a mass of text).

From the last hunter game the key thing which helped me define what my character was about and to provide background and flavour was the choice of music I made that seemed to fit. In a large proportion of the fiction I wrote and co-wrote with Tracey there were song lyrics for music that matched the mood and feel of the situation at the time.

Most of it seemed to revolve around Levellers and New Model Army but there was a a few others mixed in ('Karma Police' - Radiohead (for Second sight "Karma Police, arrest this man, he talks in maths, he buzzes like a fridge..."), 'Second sight' and 'The Bitter end' - Placebo, 'Miss Misery' - Elliot Smith, 'First we take Manhattan' - Leonard Coen and 'Everybody Hurts' - REM).

The question of what music is suitable was bandied around and the odd thing is that the "Long distance NPC's" thought Korn and similar styled bands were more suitable, but the feel I got also was that they viewed the game more like "Trenchcoats and shotguns - The splattering" rather than as a dark game about people with no clue and little chance of success having to deal with pretty horrific circumstances (which I guess has more of a Cuthulu-esque feel)...

If anyone wants an insight into my old characters mind (Max), just stick on "Bury the hatchet" and "Lust for power" by NMA, then about half their back catalogue :).

So, as far as campaign music goes? Here's opening up the soundtrack album with :- "My little town" by Simon & Garfunkel.

Stu.

Last edited by Krebsy on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Krebsy
New user
New user

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A brief musical interlude....

Post  iain on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:25 am

Krebsy wrote:The question of what music is suitable was bandied around and the odd thing is that the "Long distance NPC's" (i.e. Americans) thought Korn and similar styled bands were more suitable, but the feel I got also was that they viewed the game more like "Trenchcoats and shotguns - The splattering" rather than as a dark game about people with no clue and little chance of success having to deal with pretty horrific circumstances

In fairness, and so as not to generalise, that feeling came from the OOC forum for the "open to everyone game" of Hunter Net - NOT the NPCs I had asked to play on the LARP's Hunter Net. The trouble with opening a game up to anyone is that you can bet your bottom dollar that there are going to be a lot of vocal and argumentative people that will voraciously disagree with you on your view of the game and everything you hold dear about it
iain
Storyteller
Storyteller

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-21

View user profile http://www.hunter-net.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:51 am

I actually had a playlist for Jerry, unfortunately that went up in smoke when my old computer went kaput (not the one that went kaput this morning, the one previous to that!). But "Jeremy" by Pearljam was his real theme, something of s self-fulfilling prophecy in that perhaps

As for George, I'd recommend listening to "The Dead Flag Blues" by Godspeed You! Black Emporer, its up on Youtube if anyone's interested - beyond which Godspeed! are a wonderfully bleak band (I don't really know what genre to say they are...)

Might I also recommend "Evil Woman" by Electric Light Orchestra for Rose's character ?

Tom

Tom
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:52 am

Or pretty much any of her characters...

Tom
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rose on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:36 am

I object........ Honey isn't Lily.

Rose
New user
New user

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Quick, a diversion!

Post  anna on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:20 am

Golgotha Falls, the soundtrack: Frank Sinatra - America the Beautiful

Remember folks, the good people of Golgotha like both kinds of music - country and western

anna
Storyteller
Storyteller

Number of posts : 85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm55 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:29 am

The question of what music is suitable was bandied around and the odd thing is that the "Long distance NPC's" (i.e. Americans) thought Korn and similar styled bands were more suitable, but the feel I got also was that they viewed the game more like "Trenchcoats and shotguns - The splattering" rather than as a dark game about people with no clue and little chance of success having to deal with pretty horrific circumstances (which I guess has more of a Cuthulu-esque feel)...

The Hunter: the Reckoning corebook has alot of imagery that evokes the mood of a game where violence and deception are commonplace. Most of the illustrations and canon stories deal with humans who "Take back the night", and given the nature of the monster antagonists for Hunter: the Reckoning, it seems fitting to write characters which meet violence with violence. After all, you're not dealing with Vampire: The Masquerade, Wraith: the Oblivion or Mage: the Ascension characters; you're dealing with "bloodsuckers", "rots", "spooks" and "warlocks." There is significant lack of the 'human factor' in the Hunter antagonists, and thus they are far more belligerent. Hunters, due to Edges and a special will to survive (the reason many are Imbued int he first place), are quite capable of the use of deadly force to meet their personal goals in the game.

Some folks on the Open Boards just took it too far. Conversely, some of the Signature Characters we play are indeed strong enough and experienced enough to be capable of actively engaging in The Hunt. My character, Bookworm55, was Imbued in late 1998, in fact. He was one of the very first hunters and has managed to survive to the bitter end, even after some truly horrifying personal challenges, as you will see once I truly start cranking out the posts for him.

Back on topic, however, and apologies for the tangent-

Korn was what the kiddies suggested as good music for Hunter. My recommendations take on a more applicable visceral feel-

Disturbed: Ten Thousand Fists (the entire album), Prayer, Mistress, Criminal, Indestructible, The Curse, The Night, Voices, The Game, Stupify. All very powerful music with extremely poinient or visceral lyrics. Some of these songs evoke a mood of hope, while others can get your blood pumping and make you feel the power inherent to standing up for what's right.

Santana: Put Your Lights On. The entire Supernatural album is good though. Black Magic Woman... nuff said.

Evanessence: Going Under, Haunted, Tourniquet, Bring Me To Life, My Immortal. All haunting songs that speak to various creeds.

Staind: It's Been a While

Bruce Springsteen: Most of his songs give an "Everyman" feel, and can apply to alot of character archetypes.

John "Cougar" Mellecamp: Same deal as Springsteen. He evokes the feeling of the small town hero very well in his songs.

Linkin Park: Paper Cut, In The End. The lyrics fit, even if the music itself might throw you off. Alot of their songs sound desperately angry, and many Hunters will go through a phase in their lives where they feel the same.

Lacunacoil: Alot of their music is more geared to a gothic style Vampire or Wraith game, but it can also evoke moods for Innocents, Avengers or Visionaries.

Creed: Weathered, Torn, My Own Prison. Most of the Human Clay album. Much of their music speaks to the soul, as it's intended to. Many Hunters internalize their pain, and these guys seem to be able to vocalize that sense.

Sevendust: Denial

Drowning Pool: Let the Bodies Hit the Floor

PapaRoach: Getting away with Murder

Dream Theater: Pull Me Under

Elton John: Although much of his music is basically the 70s equivalent to Bubblegum Pop in alot of cases, there are a few songs with very heavy lyrics and many contain alot of inuendo that speaks of a much more mature subject matter. Many of his songs have a subject matter or target something specific, but the lyrics are just vague enough that you can apply them to other subjects as well.

Nickelback: All The Right Reasons, Silver Side Up, and The State all have a few good tracks to fit the Hunter mood.

Far from a comprehensive list, this is some of the stuff I like to put to use when I'm playing or writing stuff for Hunter: the Reckoning.
bookworm55
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  traveler72 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 am

The trouble with opening a game up to anyone is that you can bet your bottom dollar that there are going to be a lot of vocal and argumentative people that will voraciously disagree with you on your view of the game and everything you hold dear about it

On the other side of this, you also get people who challenge you to think beyond yourself. Sometimes this leads to growth and fresh new perspectives. I believe some civil confrontation is a healthy thing.

The Hunter: the Reckoning corebook has alot of imagery that evokes the mood of a game where violence and deception are commonplace.

Yes, but as your character and mine can both attest to, it also not-so-subtly hints that there is more to the game than just violence. Monsters do still have a human element to them. Discovering that lost humanity is just as enriching as going in with guns blazing.

My musical tastes when making characters for Hunter tend towards the classics. I don't know much about classical music, but I find some pieces very inspiring.

I like these types of threads. I tend to learn about all kinds of new music or books to check out.

traveler72
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krebsy on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:53 am

Not wanting to offend anyone's musical tastes or sensibilities etc, I think the view as far as music goes from what I've seen is really down to the characters rather than players per se. Perhaps all that sticks in the mind is the completely different views on what was discussed previously in the wider commentary on the last game, but again this is down to char. vs. char. rather than overall player views.

Sorry for the sweeping generalisations, that may just be me only remembering half of what comments were received last time on the whole music thing.. Or maybe just the one that stuck in the mind....

I guess it's highlighted by my own characters as NMA is a long way from S&G.

I don't know whether it's just with the Hunter games (I feel so) but picking music for it seems to get me into a characters mindset as I can pick songs and artists that inspire a train of thought or focus on how a character will see a situation or relate to others with.

I.e. "Bury the hatchet - NMA" was quite applicable to Max as a character later on due to it being somewhat of a resigned commentary on the fact that he realised he had been wasting all his time getting angry and fighting about the wrong things and that he did think "Maybe I'm a Bastard human after all...", realising that all the bad things that were happening were down to him and couldn't be blamed on outside forces.

Conversely "Lust for power" is, "Across the flatlands we came out of nowhere special, like a peasant revolution with makeshift weapons in our hands..." and it's an energising track that sums up the vibrancy and joy the character can get from going out and saving the World and how very much it is a case of the powerless rising up and taking on the powerful and being suprised (on both sides) as to what can be achieved. It also though has lines that sum up the self-destructiveness of the whole affair.. "And all desire is satisfied but still the hunt goes on, it's funny how this feeling stays when all the reason's gone..."

http://www.metrolyrics.com/lust-for-power-lyrics-new-model-army.html

If you want to read the whole thing....

I'm currently working on a piece of fiction (amazingly hard to get my hand back into this) as I enjoyed immensely the writing that went along with the last game. It'll be a game of "guess the song" again though as I'll be doing the old trick of mixing lyrics in there that fit.

"My little town" works well because it's a poignant view of growing up in an area but also has elements of the characters view that as nice as it all was, it really was a dead end place that he had to get away from due to him outgrowing the place. But, it also gives an anchor point and a place to return to.

Stu.

Krebsy
New user
New user

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anna on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

I think it's safe to say that music will always be a very personal choice - and it is as much about player as character insofar as your character is unlikely to like music you hate unless you're a very unique snowflake indeed, and you must at least have heard of the music in the first place. That said, there's plenty of room to consider generic Hunter-esque pieces vs. personal character pieces, and they may be very different. For me, there's definitely setting pieces too, which may be different again: a lot of the music suggested so far doesn't scream out "remote mountain town" to me. No, I'm not suggesting banjos!

It's all about personal connection: a good friend commented last week that he thought the <i>Twin Peaks</i> soundtrack sounded perfect; of course, that's another crazy town in the mountains south of the Canadian border - so I can see why it would spring to mind! Any character who walks into the diner and asks for cherry pie may or may not get more than they bargain for in Golgotha Falls, obviously

anna
Storyteller
Storyteller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 am

Rigger's theme is "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood. The actual theme of the song is about being a womanizer, but some of the lyrics appeal to his story in very harsh ways. "I broke a thousand hearts... before I met you. I'll break a thousand more, baby... before I am through!" is the kind of arrogant, viscious thing he'd say to Annabelle, just to spit his misery back in her face. It applies equally well to the ultimate bane of his existence- the pathetic, spineless bitch, Potter116.

Another good one would be Highway to Hell, by AC/DC. The song ultimately speaks of a man who's lifestyle plunges him (willingly) straight into waiting arms of damnation... just as Rigger ends up doing to himself.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 95

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  traveler72 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:25 pm

I think it's safe to say that music will always be a very personal choice - and it is as much about player as character insofar as your character is unlikely to like music you hate unless you're a very unique snowflake indeed, and you must at least have heard of the music in the first place. That said, there's plenty of room to consider generic Hunter-esque pieces vs. personal character pieces, and they may be very different. For me, there's definitely setting pieces too, which may be different again: a lot of the music suggested so far doesn't scream out "remote mountain town" to me. No, I'm not suggesting banjos!

I agree completely with this. When ST'ing a tabletop Hunter: the Reckoning game or Demon: the Fallen game, I love to set up some playlists in the background. I've found that although I get in the mood more often using the music, some of my players end up looking at me like I've got three heads over some pieces I put in. They don't see why I thought that music fit, even though to me it made perfect sense. I even had one guy who got mad at me when I suggested that a certain U2 song ( I forgot which one) applied to his character, a Visionary. He basically said that I didn't know what I was talking about and clearly didn't understand his character. He later admited (when he thought I wasn't listening) that he hates U2. It would seem that it was more a matter of his personal music taste (which does swing more towards bands like Slipknot, Tool, Korn and Sepultura)that galvanized him against considering if the piece fit.

It becomes very difficult to find music to set a mood or to express the feel of a character when everyone has their own personal tastes in the end. After all, I don't like "emo" music like My Chemical Romance or Joy Division, so I have no idea if any of their songs would apply to any of my own characters, or even to someone like Traveler here. In fact, all I ever imagine when it comes to Traveler are old R&B pieces from folks like Lious Armstrong or BB King. And maybe some of Eric Clapton's more quiet pieces, but not so much on that. I'm sure more than one person would think I'm a little nuts for thinking Clapton fits, but that's just how I see him.

traveler72
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anna on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm sure more than one person would think I'm a little nuts for thinking Clapton fits, but that's just how I see him.

Whatever works. Music may be pure pop or epic opera, but if the lyrics reflect a character, it's their theme... It's unlikely, but even Matchbox20 managed to write a song that screamed Hermit to me at the time (at least in the context of poor paranoid Jerry from the Shades of Grey fiction). I can totally see some of the old classics being perfect fits for certain characters

anna
Storyteller
Storyteller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm55 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 am

Sorry for the sweeping generalisations, that may just be me only remembering half of what comments were received last time on the whole music thing.. Or maybe just the one that stuck in the mind....

Some people gloss memories over and only see the happy-fun-time parts, others focus on the less pleasant aspects and retain those most prevalently. It happens because it's just part of human nature. It's all good in the end, so no worries. Music in particular is going to be one of those subjects that end up black and white to alot of people, because of the personal investment. Just as Anna and T are trying to get across, I think.

If I get what you're saying now, though, I'd have to say that I really have no clue what to consider as Bookworm's music. He's all over the damn place during his stories, both emotionally and psychologically, which makes him nowehre near as cut and dried as some of the other Sig Characters like Rigger, Soldier, Hannibal or Traveler. (You should be seeing Hannibal soon, btw, and Soldier will post more often as soon as he's not so busy in rl) Maybe a Matchbox20 song would fit him, come to think of it? I've heard a couple, and one called "How Far We've Come" seems to fit the frenetic, sometimes panicky way he looks at things.

Rigger's theme is "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood.

More like "The Benny Hill Show" theme... yeah, I went there.

Yes, but as your character and mine can both attest to, it also not-so-subtly hints that there is more to the game than just violence. Monsters do still have a human element to them. Discovering that lost humanity is just as enriching as going in with guns blazing.

I -like- the gun's blazing part. It's that whole "Take back the night" concept that appeals most to alot of players, myself included. You can't exactly wrest control of a planet from monstrous influence if you spend all your time wetting your pants or crying over the scary nasty rot thingie, can you? There's got to come a point where even a Mercy Creed says "I've had enough. If you won't talk to me, then you get to talk to the business end of Mister Magnum .357 over there." Otherwise, the very essence of the game, which is voiced on the first page of the corebook by Witness1 as "Inherit the Earth", is thrown out the window. Point-in-fact: Even Bookworm admits that he -has- had to kill before.
bookworm55
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:26 am

More like "The Benny Hill Show" theme... yeah, I went there

Well he does have all those chicks chasing him, after all...

PS: I am staying the FUCK out of you two's argument, and I do NOT want to see that shit spilling out of the boards. Got it? Now kiss and make up before I have to crack your skulls with a ballpeen hammer.

Last edited by rigger111 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I'm a moron?)

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anna on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am

I'm staying the FUCK out of you two's argument

Is it an argument? That's the lovely thing about Hunter - it works both ways. For me, Hunter is about (initially) normal people struggling to come to terms with the impossible, and rising above themselves to face it. Arguments are an inevitable part of the framework, as an Avenger takes action and a Redeemer takes exception (or vice versa). In any given situation, either one of them could be right, but they'll probably still disagree about it. Anyone willing to take bets on whether this game will see a happily-integrated bunch who agree on the "right" answer and send the appropriate people to deliver it? No, didn't think so There's a reason we have an NPC shrink available (our own sordid amusement, obviously)!

anna
Storyteller
Storyteller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:24 am

One can never tell when "Bookworm" and "Traveler" get started. They're weird. And very passionate. I'm just screwing with them anyway.

There's a reason we have an NPC shrink available (our own sordid amusement, obviously)!

You got a shrink?! Lucky bastards... Our last tabletop, all we got was a gay accountant for an NPC. He and Soldier's character were boyfriends. It was quite sugary. I blew them up.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anna on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 am

I blew them up.

SHHHHHH! Don't give our players ideas...

anna
Storyteller
Storyteller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:52 am

Anna you're forgetting, Pete's playing...and we've let him own his own construction company.
iain
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post  anna on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:03 am

What on earth were we thinking?

Hang on - haven't we also let Stu own his own auto-shop? He's not got a gas pump in it, does he? Do you remember Solihull?!

anna
Storyteller
Storyteller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:24 am

You're forgetting the wonderful tools we have at our disposal.

PLAYER: I go to do something technical with the gas pump.
REF: Ok. You bend down and start tinkering with it. <pauses> <pauses> <pauses> <herald voice in player's ear> BEWARE THE STOLEN SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLAYER: Eeek!
REF: You jump, bump your head and kick the gas pump. It starts beeping in an odd fashion. Do you still want to mess with it?
PLAYER: No. Turn it off. Now.
iain
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier91 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Music is raw emotion. The way I see it, anything that moves you can fit. I seem to find angry music usually works for me. Gets the adrenaline pumping.

I once created an entire character based off of a Pat Benetar song. Then Sean blew him up.
soldier91
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rigger111 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 am

I once created an entire character based off of a Pat Benetar song. Then Sean blew him up.

If it's any consolation, I only meant to blow up YOUR character. Andy got caught in the blast because he didn't take the bait on my distraction I had set up for him. So, as Harlan (my character) reasons it, the stupid fairy got himself killed when he could have just walked away. Got to love those Waywards though, huh? Especially the old, prejudiced bastard types.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 am

soldier91 wrote:I once created an entire character based off of a Pat Benetar song.

Funnily enough, I was playing Guitar Hero the other night and a Pat Benetar song came on and I thought of you She has a certain energy to her music that is appropriate to Hunter.
iain
Storyteller
Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post  traveler72 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 am

When you guys are done hijacking the thread, I'm sure Mister Stu there would appreciate it if at least a couple of you posted something that was on-topic. =P

Speaking of which, I heard a really good song from a band called Anthrax the other day which I think fits most Merciful, but Martyrs in particular. It's called "Black Lodge", and just seems to fit:

Worship the ground you barely walk on
You give of yourself but your angels are gone
Deny your body is screaming
But your heart and your soul they're bleeding
Just to fall asleep is a godsend
Until your demons appear again
I am a witness to your demise

Your biggest secret is one you can't keep
Lift up your head if you're only asleep
You try to hold onto reason
Why can't you see that you're leaving
My love for you knows no distance
But it can't fight your resistance
I am the one who saw through the lies

Give me
The one thing you can't give
Take me to
The black lodge where you live
Give me
Take me to

Deny your body is screaming
But your heart and your soul they're bleeding
Just to fall asleep is a godsend
Until your demons appear again

I am the one who saw through the lies
My love has always been blind
Give me
Take me to
Give me
Take me to
Where you live
Where you live
Where you live

This song really does hit upon the root of Hunter: the Reckoning. It plays to the sense of emotional and physical sacrifice that all Hunters usually end up making. I'm not a fan of the band, but this song really does stick out as unique for them.

traveler72
Gifted
Gifted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next