Edges are fun...no...really.

Go down

Edges are fun...no...really.

Post  god45 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:58 pm

I happened to read the FAQ about Edges a little while ago, and this kind of caught my attention:

In the whole of Hunter canon and out of the hundreds of NPCs that they wrote I can only think of seven that had a level five edge. Out of those two died and the other five were implied to have died.

Iain's math/research is a little skewed. In Hunter: the Reckoning canon, only TWO Imbued are ever directly mentioned as possessing a Level Five edge openly: Crusader17 and Oracle171. Crusader has Smite; Oracle has Blaze, but with a twist.

Later, another special Level Five Edge is mentioned in the Fall From Grace flavor stories for another Sig character. A total of four stories exist in Fall From Grace where Level 5 Edges are mentioned, but only ONE of those stories is Hunter official canon.

So basically.. Level 5 Edges are even more rare than he suggests, and in every case use of them is just as destructive to the poor bugger who gets it as it is to any supernatural he might target with it.

Here's the thing though (and my reason for posting a thread with this title)- Level Five Edges pretty much suck. (At least in my personal opinion). As far as Bang for the Buck is concerned, I'd take a clever use of a Level 1 or a Level 3 Edge over a Level 5 Edge any day. As Iain mentions early in the FAQ- As the Hunter gains Virtue, his Edges can increase in power. This holds true in both the tabletop and the LARP, and is the true power behind Edges. The level doesn't really matter in the end; it's the actual application of the Edge, and how much Virtue you have to fuel it.

So, keeping that in mind, I wanted to start a thread to drum up some inspiration for how to use Edges in the course of play. Here's a couple of examples of my favorites-

Cleave (L1, Vengeance)- Chains can be used as weapons, right? Cleave imbues a weapon with powers to harm supernaturals, right? Yeah... so that chain padlocked to a cemetary gate is still a weapon if you can get it off the gate. Now here's the trick: You want to get into the cemetary, but don't have bolt cutters and can't climb the fence. Use Cleave to open the gate... by activating it on the chain then letting the chain deteriorate after the duration expires. (Yes, this is perfectly legal by the definition of the Edge, Iain. )

Insinuate (L2, Redemption)- Most Hunters use this edge to ask questions getting information. This is good, but you can also slam a monster with a well-placed Insinuate charged question to buy time for your allies to escape, to prep an explosive, or to even turn a monster against its own allies. The sky is the limit... so long as you use the right wording when you pose a question.

I'm only going to post these two examples to give an idea of what my intent was. For those others who have experience with Hunter: the Reckoning, I pose this question:

What's your favorite Edge, and how have you used to it to clever effectiveness?
god45
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Edges are fun...no...really.

Post  rigger111 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:11 am

Here's one for Storytellers:

Forewarn (Rank 2, Deviance): Usually used to the benefit of the Wayward, what happens when a cadgey ST or Ref decides to have a monster stalking the Wayward without actually going at him? Forewarn that triggers multiple times in a scene as a (for example) hidden Flicker gets angry at his actions but keeps itself just barely in check stalks him. Build apprehension over a faceless, unseen threat until the Wayward becomes so tense he explodes into unrestricted violence.

My personal favorite:

Champion (Rank 4 Defense): Most Hunters go for the obvious of using a combination of Ward and this Edge to keep a monster focused on them, but unable to hurt them. The Edge is far more versatile than what is suggested in the book though. It can be used to save another Hunter from a life-threatening attack or a mortal wound. It can also be used to lure one monster into another. Even better, though, is to use it on multiple monsters throught he course of a scene to create jealously among particularly competative monsters. There's nothing funnier than watching two egotistical Flickers argue over who gets to kill you while you throw up Ward and taunt them both.

Another good one:

Respire (Rank 3 Redemption): Most Redeemers like to use this as a healing Edge. Very few recall that it can also do harm to monsters. Now, what happens when you only use it to temporarily incapacitate a monster that you don't really want to kill? Weaken the monster, cold-cock it, then tie it up for later use of Insinuate. You don't have to kill with the Edge, but you may have to use it to restore your own flagging Conviction as well. In doing the scenario I mention, you kill as many as three birds with one stone- You intimidate, you restore your Conviction, and you weaken a potential threat. Plus, you can also use it to get those annoying Avengers off your back by showing them that you CAN kill with just a breath. That'll make them think twice about fucking with you the next time you want to talk it out with a bloodsucker instead of just breaking out the flamethrower.

Theorycraft for the win. You're still a suck-up, Josh.

rigger111
Gifted
Gifted

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I really like the defense edges too.

Lock - Level 2 Defense
Sure, you can use this to lock doors, windows etc - what about more esoteric uses? Why not use it to create a secure message drop spot? Or do a Witness1 and make a secure web site? Or, for the blood thirsty amongst you, stick some explosives in a box, lock it and leave it in the monster's lair. Lets see you open that Mr Vampire...

Ward - Level 1 Defense
Quite simply, this is one of THE most useful edges out there. Apart from the fact that it becomes the equivalent of raising a brick wall against monsters as your character grows in zeal it has some other uses. Keep innocents safe, keep monsters at bay, or, more usefully blow back a monster that is close to you. Forget slugging it out with them - raise your hand, shout "BACK!" and watch that sucker fly back a few yards. Gives your nearest and dearest a head start in legging it!

Rejuvenate - Level 2 Defense
This makes your character heal quicker, but most players forget that it can be used to help others heal too! While it's not quite a D&D Cleric power - the characters still have to wait to heal - but it makes that gunshot wound vanish very quickly!

I also like Champion for the reasons outlined above.

It's fair to point out that Defenders in the LARP aren't going to get special treatment!

I'm waiting for Jason to post and drool over how great Burden is...
iain
Storyteller
Storyteller

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-21

View user profile http://www.hunter-net.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm

god45 wrote:Level Five Edges pretty much suck. (At least in my personal opinion).

This is a fair point. Don't get me wrong, some of them are hellishly powerful. However, the limitations they impose on you and the hoops you have to jump through to get one (I'm not going to spoil the surprise for those of you that want to go down the road) leave you wondering if this power is really worth it... See my prior remarks about Extremists dying horribly!
iain
Storyteller
Storyteller

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-21

View user profile http://www.hunter-net.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: